HC110 vs. Rodinal for High Contrast Scenes : Tray Development

Discuss all aspects of B&W Film.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

agresens

Post by agresens »

I've been using XTOL 1:1 in BTZS tubes to develop HP5+ 4x5 film but max subject brightness range appears to be about 9 stops with minimal development time (based on BTZS testing method).

Because I'm doing a lot of landscape/nature work, I need a solution for higher contrast scenes. I'm thinking of switching to tray development for this so that I can control the agitation a bit better (BTZS tubes require constant agitation).

Darkroom Cookbook (or one of the Anchell Books) recommends Rodinal for this at a higher dilution, but appears other folks tend to use HC110b for this.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of either solution? I'm also interested in developer volume recommendations (this is another limitation of the BTZS tubes which only hold about 70ml of total solution which would seem to not be sufficient for more diluted developers).

(BTW: Great to see this website up. I love all of Steve's books (have them all) and highly recommend them!)

Thanks!

August
agresens

Post by agresens »

Thanks for your reply! Interesting approach you have there. I have used Rodinal with stand development and I like the compensating effect but I've never heard of controlling contrast through pure dilution (exhausting the developer). You've given me the confidence, however, to give Rodinal a go for the 4x5 stuff and we'll see how it goes. Thanks again :)
jilltyree740

Post by jilltyree740 »

But if you need speed and smaller grain try T-Max 400 or the conventional (not .... Typically, I downrate slower films to control contrast so development is reduced.
sms service | SMS Marketing Applications | bulk sms service