Zone VI Compensating Developing Timer repair needed

Use this forum for questions about equipment, maintenance, and building a darkroom or for Do It Yourself / Build Your Own gear. If you have something to buy or sell use the Buy & Sell Darkroom Equipment forum below.
jwilliams3195

Post by jwilliams3195 »

I've been using my ZVI CDT for 22 years. The "Real Time" and "Paper" work just fine. However, the "Film" is so off base that this component for film development is untrustworthy/unusable. Is there a reputable source for repair or, perhaps, chip replacement? If not, what are reasonable alternatives? BTW, I use a PROTEMP to keep within 67.8 - 68.2 C for film development. Thanks in advance, Justin
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

Based on the fact that the Paper setting works fine, would eliminate a failure of the probe or possible bad connection of the probe connector. I would venture to guess that the rotary switch is not making a reliable connection in the Film position. Oxidation or wear??? You might try using a switch/relay contact cleaner on the switch. Open the unit, spray the cleaner into the rotary switch and then exercise it back and forth.

I have no idea where you can get service on these units now that Calumet is gone??? The unit we use is over 20 years old now and still functions fine. . . fingers crossed!!!
darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

jwilliams3195 wrote: I've been using my ZVI CDT for 22 years. The "Real Time" and "Paper" work just fine. However, the "Film" is so off base that this component for film development is untrustworthy/unusable. Is there a reputable source for repair or, perhaps, chip replacement? If not, what are reasonable alternatives? BTW, I use a PROTEMP to keep within 67.8 - 68.2 C for film development. Thanks in advance, Justin

I'm sure you meant degrees F. The only guy I know that might know someone is RT Ritter who was a designer for Zone VI, he doesn't work on electronics but you might ask where he would send his timer. Contact info:

Richard T Ritter

POB 401

Townshend, VT. 05353-0401

(802) 365-7807

8 AM to 6PM Week Days

&

Saturdays by chance

rrlg4mat@sover.net