Windshield wiper squeegees?

Use this forum for questions about equipment, maintenance, and building a darkroom or for Do It Yourself / Build Your Own gear. If you have something to buy or sell use the Buy & Sell Darkroom Equipment forum below.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Hi. This barely falls under equipment, but I've been looking for a better squeegee for selective bleaching and keep hearing that windshield wiper blades are the best option these days. Can anyone advise? As in do I just use the blade as is or is it kind of a DIY type thing? Btw, sorry if this got posted twice, looks like my first post didn't go through... Thanks in advance.
Kimberly Schneider

www.kimberlyjschneider.com
JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

Kimberly wrote: Hi. This barely falls under equipment, but I've been looking for a better squeegee for selective bleaching and keep hearing that windshield wiper blades are the best option these days. Can anyone advise? As in do I just use the blade as is or is it kind of a DIY type thing? Btw, sorry if this got posted twice, looks like my first post didn't go through... Thanks in advance.

Funny. . . when I first started working in the darkroom, many years ago, I used a VW wiper blade on paper. I still have it somewhere in a box. You need the full wiper assembly with the metal spine. . . I bleive they are mostly sold this way today. You used to be able to get just the rubber inserts. . . they will not work.

I still have an 18" wiper blade in the darkroom, but now I mostly use a Ettore 12-Inch Progrip Squeegee (from Lowe's or Amazon). Both work very well, the squeegee is easier to use because it has a nice long handle.

Hope this helps.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Thanks! I will definitely look into that squeegee, good to know about the wiper blade as a back-up!
Kimberly Schneider

darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

Funny, immediately after reading her post my mind also went to the VW windshield wiper! I think I first read about it in the Whole Earth Photography Catalog.

For RC I use a Falcon Roller, I have my original and two spares, the first spare I bought had almost square rollers from bad storage or God knows what so I bought another. I've also used the giant Paterson print squeegee for RC, it also works well.

For FB I usually (still) use photo blotters, I don't share my darkroom and especially don't share my blotters and they work very well.

I'd love one of those ginormous Pako dryers but alas don't have the room.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Haha, that was probably before my time or at least before I ever set foot into a darkroom. Am not familiar with that one, but am guessing is long gone. Fell into photo by accident in '99...

Nice. If I'm remembering correctly, that's what we used for RC when I was in school, was pretty sweet. That makes sense. I have a tower of drying racks I use for both fiber and RC, mostly for fiber though. I use an ancient squeegee for fiber, no idea of the brand, but it's the only good one I've been able to find post 2006. Actually inherited it when I was asked to take over the shared space I used to print at. Is probably from the 70's or older and has seen better days, so I'm very happy to find a proper replacement! Also have a couple of those big gray ones (probably Paterson, but drawing a blank), which are fine for RC, but horrible for bleaching and iffy for fiber at best.

Oh, I'm glad they work for you, but be careful! I used to use blotter books and learned the hard way that you can only re-use them so often before the ph changes (and stains prints green). That's good you don't share them, I never shared mine either and am also lucky to have my darkroom to myself.

Ooh, haven't seen those in years, can definitely relate to that.
Kimberly Schneider

sanchell

Post by sanchell »

Roger and Cornelia Davidson, both mentioned in the Darkroom Cookbook, developed Ektachrome film in a 3 1/2 gallon rubber tank hand line. They did this every evening at their home, M-F. Every professional photographer who was serious about their film took it to R & C. They developed hundreds of rolls and sheets each night. I assisted them in return for learning how to develop Ektachrome using the E3 process.

The ONLY thing they would use on their film was a 1967 VW van windshield wiper. Roger insisted that other years would work but the size, shape, and resiliency of the '67 wiper was the best. I promptly went out and purchased one and to this day I still use it exclusively for my film - damn good investment.

In 1979 I met Ansel Adams at his home in the Carmel Highlands. He gave me a tour of his darkroom. I noticed a VW windshield wiper next to the sink and mentioned that I used one too. Ansel picked it up, turned it over in his hand and said, "'67 van; best year if you can still find 'em." I asked Ansel if he new the Davidson's and he said he had never heard of them.

For paper I recommend a soft edge window squeegee with a handle. They're easy to hold and maneuver and the blades are soft enough not to scratch the wet emulsion.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Oh wow, thanks for sharing! That's really cool. If I ever find one, maybe I'll get one at some point.

Thanks Steve, I took JB's suggestion and ordered a couple Ettore ProGrip Squeegee and they arrived today, can't wait to test them out! Oh, do I have to clean them with anything special before I use them or are they good to go? Just about to start printing now:)
Kimberly Schneider

JB Harlin

Post by JB Harlin »

Kimberly wrote: Oh wow, thanks for sharing! That's really cool. If I ever find one, maybe I'll get one at some point.

Thanks Steve, I took JB's suggestion and ordered a couple Ettore ProGrip Squeegee and they arrived today, can't wait to test them out! Oh, do I have to clean them with anything special before I use them or are they good to go? Just about to start printing now:)

Been using the Ettore squeegees for some time now with FB prints. Someone else recommended them to me. Might want to give them a quick wash with some dish soap then rinse really well the first time you use them. I bleive you can get refills for them if you ever need also.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Oh great, thanks for the heads up!
Kimberly Schneider

darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

I'm sure the Ettore squeegees are fine, but dog gone it, the thing just isn't esoteric enough, I can buy it a Home Depot for Ansel's sake, but an original, new-old-stock 1967 (not '69 or '66!) VW Van windshield wiper blade, that's the ticket! And the repro's are under ten bucks. I may buy one to try (and may only use it once) but I'll be the most arcane darkroom wizard on the block.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Haha, I think they're going to need some wearing in. If you find extras for that cheap, please let me know. Getting pretty curious... Tested the Ettore squeegee last night, think it will be great after it gets a bit more use, but is not perfect thus far (and super squeeky on my stainless squeegee board). Is way better than the big gray ones though, should be a big improvement for bleaching!
Kimberly Schneider

SPPhoto

Post by SPPhoto »

I asked what others use on another analog site, and they also recommended the Ettore Pro Grip Squeegee. So that's what I've been using. So far so good.
Stephen Prunier Photography
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Same, I think the first few days just took a bit of wearing in. Plus, my squeegee board is stainless, not plexi. Was made by Regal Arkay several years ago when they made my sink for me...
Kimberly Schneider