Supermarket Washing Soda

Share your black and white print making knowledge or ask for advice.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

lew1716

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by lew1716 »

I don't have my DRC with me. What is the rule of thumb re weights when using this stuff in place of darkroom grade sodium carbonate?
themichael

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by themichael »

Bake a measured amount for about 2 hours at 200°F/93°C to see if you need to adjust. My box started as anhydrous (baked equaled start) and it gained weight when I found it moved to the laundry room. Always test when the chain of custody is broken :) .

Dryer is vented indoors during the winter. I've paid for the heat and moisture - no need to waste it on the neighbor's car.

EDIT:

Thought my temps were a bit off. 250°F/120 °C.

Weight loss <4% - hydrate

about 20% - monohydrate

50% - decahydrate
lew1716

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by lew1716 »

Is the correct amount something I could determine with litmus paper?
sanchell

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by sanchell »

Litmus paper is not a very precise testing method - it will provide you with a ball park figure. What I would like to ask is why you wish to use supermarket grade carbonate? The important difference between supermarket and photo quality is the purity of the carbonate. S/m quality is loaded with impurities that are not measured and can vary from box to box - even the impurities can be different.

If you are using carbonate in your film developer you are being penny wise and pound foolish to take a chance with your negatives using s/m grade. If you are using it in your print developer you will have inconsistent results. The only reason to use s/m grade is if nothing else is available to you (you don't live in the Borneo jungle, do you?). :-)

Sodium carbonate from the Formulary is not that expensive. If you use a lot buy a bulk container.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
JB Harlin

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by JB Harlin »

sanchell wrote: Litmus paper is not a very precise testing method - it will provide you with a ball park figure. What I would like to ask is why you wish to use supermarket grade carbonate? The important difference between supermarket and photo quality is the purity of the carbonate. S/m quality is loaded with impurities that are not measured and can vary from box to box - even the impurities can be different.

If you are using carbonate in your film developer you are being penny wise and pound foolish to take a chance with your negatives using s/m grade. If you are using it in your print developer you will have inconsistent results. The only reason to use s/m grade is if nothing else is available to you (you don't live in the Borneo jungle, do you?). :-)

Sodium carbonate from the Formulary is not that expensive. If you use a lot buy a bulk container.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Personally we use only the purest chemicals we can find, especially for film. When it comes to your film, you only get one chance. It is not a place to cut corners. We mix all stock solutions in distilled water.

There you have my 2cents worth from years of making mistakes. . . :-)

FYI, another very good source of photo chemicals is ArtCraft Chemicals, Inc. . .

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com
darkroommike

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by darkroommike »

Supermarket washing soda is fine for home brew wash aids and the caffenol crowd loves it for developer compounding. I get better results with the swimming pool pH Plus for the same uses. For my day job, I use chemicals from Artcraft with the occasional nod to Photographer's Formulary.
lew1716

Supermarket Washing Soda

Post by lew1716 »

I guess I'm being hard headed & cheap. Better safe than sorry. Just placed my PF order.