vertical tray for space constrain

Discuss all aspects of B&W Film.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

andynguyen

vertical tray for space constrain

Post by andynguyen »

Alright, this might sound weird, but please bear with me, & then give me your thoughts

My darkroom is build inside my small washroom. the biggest set of trays I can accommodate without tripping over myself or the tray is 12x16, 4 of them. But occasionally I envision myself doing bigger prints than that. Something like 20x25.

So i've been thinking about a setup like this

- 1 "plate", slightly bigger than 20x25, placed inclined but near to vertical
- this plate shall rest on a "collection trough", probably made out of half a 4-5inch PVC pipe, with 1 capped end and 1 end emptying into a hose
- a set of pump to pump solution up using a flexible hose, probably half inch in diameter

WIth such setup, I imagine placing the paper on to the plate, hose it with water briefly so it sticks to the plate, then use the pump to run developer onto the print. The developer with return to the developer container via the draining hose & cycle back up on the print. Stopbath & Fixer shall be appled successively in a similar manner. I imagine using Chris Patton's E72 as I find that it resists oxidation pretty well, so such circulation would have little impact.

Does it sound plausible? or will I run into some foreseeable problem?
sanchell

Re: vertical tray for space constrain

Post by sanchell »

Your instincts are good. Tray development is only one method. Many photographers have painted the developer and fixer onto the paper using a high quality paint brush or sable art brush. Just make certain you coat everything evenly and keep brushing it on until completion. You might also want to rotate the print every few minutes if possible. You might try a 20x25x1/4" piece of white Plexiglass with the narrow end resting in a 24" long trough that you should be able to get from a place that sells wallpaper. Fill the trough with working developer and dip the brush in it. The developer will run back into the trough and you can continue to use it until exhaustion.

Whichever method you use please let everyone know how it works.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
andynguyen

Re: vertical tray for space constrain

Post by andynguyen »

Thank you Steve for the affirmation. Now I can confidently put my money and time into making it.