Diafine in SP-8x10 tank?

Discuss all aspects of B&W Film.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

jrlee027

Diafine in SP-8x10 tank?

Post by jrlee027 »

Early in the year I prepared solutions A & B of the Diafine-type developer described by Stephen G. Anchell in the first edition of his book, "The Darkroom Cookbook." I have been very pleased with the results on roll film and I would like to try it for sheet film using my Stearman Press SP-8x10 tank. Has anyone done this and can share their experience or recommendations? My concern of course is that pre-wetting the film is how one gets sheet film to stick to the base of the SP-8x10; whereas using a water pre-soak is not to be done when using Diafine (I think because it would interfere with Solution A being absorbed into the emulsion). That being said, it seems that doing a pseudo pre-wet with Solution A instead of water (pour it in, pour it out, then back in again for the full time) may be the thing to try (gently). Thanks.
sanchell

Re: Diafine in SP-8x10 tank?

Post by sanchell »

I apologize for the lateness of this response.

Your solution is probably correct. No development takes place in the A Solution. So, try using it (if you already haven't done so) as a presoak just as you would plain water. You should be able to presoak it for the usual time.

Please let me know how this goes. Try not to take as long as I did to get back to me. :-)
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell