Minimum amounts of stock solution for Xtol dilutions

Discuss all aspects of B&W Film.

Moderator: Black & White Moderators

edawson83

Minimum amounts of stock solution for Xtol dilutions

Post by edawson83 »

Hi all,

I am looking for clarification on a point in the 2nd edition of TFDC regarding minimum developer per film. Page 39 gives bullet points for undilute, dilute, and very dilute developers. Both D-76 and Xtol stock are mentioned in the undilute note and continue with D-76 1:1 and D-76 1:3 in the subsequent bullet points, but not Xtol 1:1 and 1:3. I was just curious if there was a reason for this. This section mentions coverage but seems mainly concerned with capacity. Can we get optimal results with less stock solution when diluting Xtol vs D-76? Kodak recommends at least 100ml of stock solution but, as you know, only currently publishes info for diluting up to 1:1. I am starting the process of standardizing to one film and developer and want to give FP4+ and Xtol 1:3 with minimal agitation a try as a good balance of sharpness and grain, and with some compensation for printing with a condenser head. I want a solid jumping off point in order to eliminate as many variables as possible before I start film speed and development time tests.

My main concern is the desire to develop at least two rolls in the same tank with Xtol 1:3. I have the paterson tank for 2x135 as well as 5x135. The 5 reel tank holds about 1500ml which would only allow one roll at 1:3 dilution unless I can get optimal results with 187.5ml of stock solution per film vs. the 250ml suggested by the notes for D-76 1:1 and 1:3. I could get two rolls done in Xtol 1:2 but I don't know if that would provide similar compensating effects.

Also, is there a preferred stacking order when developing fewer than 5 rolls in a 5 reel tank? Should I always put the loaded reels at the bottom and then add the other empty reels on top? Or put the loaded reels in the middle with empty reels on top and bottom?

Any guidance or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Eric
sanchell

Re: Minimum amounts of stock solution for Xtol dilutions

Post by sanchell »

Edward, thank you for pointing this out.

There is no reason for Xtol 1:3 not being listed in the subsequent bullet points. There are lots of other dilute developers we could have mentioned but arbitrarily chose the ones you see listed so that readers would have a better scope of what constitutes a dilute developer.

Our position, based on Bill's research and my empirical experience, is that the more working developer used per 8x10-inches of film, the better and more consistent the results. This is especially true, but not exclusively, for roll film where a variety of lighting and exposure conditions may prevail from frame to frame.

You are referring to Kodak's recommendation of 100 ml of stock solution. Kodak's recommendation is based on how much developer is required to fully cover an 8x10-inch sheet of film during machine processing; not intermittent agitation in the home darkroom. Following Kodak's recommendation, you would only require 200ml of D-76 1:1, which is entirely inadequate for full and even development with intermittent agitation.

In the FDCB we are referring to a working solution. The rule for dilute developers, 500ml per 8x10-inch applies to Xtol 1:3. That would mean three rolls of 35mm or 120mm film in 1500ml of working developer. NOTE: If you develop less rolls than the tank will hold be sure to use empty rolls as spacers at the top of the tank to hold the live rolls in place during agitation.

Were you to fill the tank with 5 rolls that would be only 300 mm per roll, less than what we recommend for an undiluted developer.

Were you to develop 4 rolls that would be 375ml per roll. That would be preferable to 300ml, and the results would be acceptable, as you can compensate during printing, especially using modern variable contrast papers.

However, Bill and I are giving recommendations for achieving the best possible negative. To do this takes more time, effort, and developer per roll. ;)
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell