Metal Developing Tanks

Feel free to include all manner of photo related gear.
savannahjacobson

Metal Developing Tanks

Post by savannahjacobson »

I am interested in metal developing tanks and reels. I am on social security so donations are helpful but I can also pay a small amount. I currently have one four reel tank and one eight reel tank. Looking for additional sizes including a single tank, and a 4x5 tank.

Thanks,

Savannah
A creative adventurer with a camera, a laptop, & a passport.
sanchell

Metal Developing Tanks

Post by sanchell »

I may have some for you. I'll look and get back to you. All I would require is shipping cost.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
savannahjacobson

Metal Developing Tanks

I can take care of shipping. No Problem.
sanchell

Metal Developing Tanks

Post by sanchell »

I have a two reel and one reel tank. However, I do not recommend using a one reel tank as it does not hold enough liquid volume to fully develop 8x10 sq in of film. I recommend developing no more than one roll of 36 exp 35mm film in a two reel tank with 500ml of developer. When developing 35mm 36 exp. In fact, the best practice is to simply load any tank with half the number of 35mm 36 exp reels it will hold (this does not apply to 120). For example, 2 rolls in a 4 reel tank; 4 rolls in an 8 reel tank. Use the full volume of developer the tank will hold.

Use the full volume of developer the tank will hold.

Anyway, send me your shipping address in a private email through this site and I'll send the two tanks to you with 2 35mm reels and one 120 reel. My user name is sanchell.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell
savannahjacobson

Metal Developing Tanks

Thank you to Steve who I just got two tanks from. Still interest in two additional metal tanks both made by Nikkor. One 4x5 tank and one 70mm tank. These are rare I know but if anyone has a connection please let me know.
sanchell

Metal Developing Tanks

Post by sanchell »

sanchell wrote: I have a two reel and one reel tank. However, I do not recommend using a one reel tank as it does not hold enough liquid volume to fully develop 8x10 sq in of film. I recommend developing no more than one roll of 36 exp 35mm film in a two reel tank with 500ml of developer. When developing 35mm 36 exp. In fact, the best practice is to simply load any tank with half the number of 35mm 36 exp reels it will hold (this does not apply to 120). For example, 2 rolls in a 4 reel tank; 4 rolls in an 8 reel tank. Use the full volume of developer the tank will hold.

Use the full volume of developer the tank will hold.

Addendum to the above. The optimum amount of developing solution to insure full and complete development, resulting in the best possible image quality, is 500 ml per 8x10 sq inches. That means 500 ml for 1 35mm - 36 exp roll OR 1 120 roll OR 4 sheets of 4x5” film.

You need to use an empty spacer reel on top if you place 1 reel of 35mm in a 2 reel tank - but then you should fill it all the way with 500 ml of developing solution.

Yes, you can get away with less. Eastman says 250 ml will develop a 35mm - 36 exp roll, but that does not mean you will obtain maximum quality, you’ll just develop the roll. Placing 3 rolls in a 4 reel tank will mean 333 ml of developing solution per roll - not as good as 500 ml but you can "get away" with it as the difference will only be noticeable on images that have dense highlights, such as cloud covered skies.

However, 7 reels in an 8 reel tank with 2000 ml of developer puts you down to 280 ml, which for me would not be acceptable. I would recommend no more than 6 reels in an 8 reel tank with 2000 ml - that brings you back to 333 ml per roll.

Last point, it should be apparent I am speaking of 35mm 36 exp. If you are developing 4 rolls of 120 film in an 8 reel tank with 2000 ml you would have 500 ml per roll, which is optimum.
Do it in the Dark,

Steve Anchell