Just getting started with cyanotype

Use this forum for printing out processes such as Kalitype, Van Dyke, Cyanotype.

Moderator: Alternative Processes Moderators

darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

Sitting right in the middle of a big Iowa blizzard this morning but my paper is supposed to be here today. I have an 8x10 studio camera (now just need to find my 8x10 back) in the meanwhile I guess I'll shoot 5x7 and also do some 8x10 digital negatives. More to come I guess, funny, I started as a 35mm shooter, quickly tried to move to medium format and 4x5 on a budget, frustrating, but have found validation every step of the way. After 45 years I still find darkroom work exciting.
Jill Enfield

Post by Jill Enfield »

Hi Mike - Just going through unanswered topics and noticed this says getting started with cyanotype. But - your topic is about your large format camera! If you have a question about cyanotype - let us know. ;-)
darkroommike

Post by darkroommike »

My first posting was more an intro than anything and eventually the workflow will either be digital 8x10 negative > alternative print and/or 8x10 camera > 8x10 negative > alternative print but that's on hold for now. I have a light source with 6 FT20CW bulbs and some 8x10 sunprint material to play with for now and the exposures are long, long, long. Sixty minutes long. I suspect that the material is not very fast and the bulbs are very slow. I am printing from a standard 4x5 negative.
owens.bill

Post by owens.bill »

I'm also just beginning with cyanotype, but I can tell you that the the commercial sunprint paper I have is much less sensitive than the paper I've been coating with Dr. Ware's New Cyanotype formula. I've been experimenting with direct exposure of sensitized paper in an old 6x6 TLR and the sunprint paper never showed any result; I can get a visible image in just a few minutes using the paper I coated myself.

As for contact printing I don't have a UV lightbox (yet) but full exposure on a sunny day is a minute or two. My next challenge in that process is to get my digital negatives tuned up; I don't think they're dense enough yet.
jilltyree740

Post by jilltyree740 »

Outline to cyanotypes is all you should begin with cyanotypes. ... silk, carefully assembled paper, watercolor paper and clothes are simply number of options
sms service | SMS Marketing Applications | bulk sms service